About Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko
The State Budgetary Institution of Higher Professional Education «Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko» of the Ministry of Public Health of the Russian Federation is known as one of the country’s leading research and teaching centers with a total of about 5,000 students. It is one of the oldest educational institutions of Russia. Its history goes back to 1802 – the date of Derpt University foundation, which moved to Voronezh in 1918. In 1930, its medical faculty became an independent medical institute, which achieved its academy status in 1994. The University has proved its worth as an academic institution providing high-quality education and conducting advanced scientific research in Medicine, Biology, and Pharmacy. The quality of its performance is reflected in the rating scale, according to which the university is included in the top ten medical schools of Russia. Since its foundation, it has prepared more than 40 thousand medical specialists, including foreign ones from 56 countries of Europe, Asia and Africa.
The Founder of the University is the RF Government. The Founder’s powers and competencies belong to the Ministry of Public Health of the Russian Federation. The University has a perpetual license for educational activity and the state accreditation. The University carries out its activities on the basis of the Statute.
The structure of the University is now presented by 7 faculties and 3 educational institutes.
The Faculties of General Medicine, Pediatrics, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Preventive Medicine train specialists on the basis of complete secondary education.
The Faculty of Healthcare Management Development trains qualified healthcare executives able to work efficiently in a new social and economic environment.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies gives an opportunity to continue studies in internship programs according to a chosen major or at the residency course, which is a part of the multilevel structure of higher medical education of the Russian Federation.
The International Institute of Medical Education and Cooperation trains specialists for foreign countries.
The Institute of Advanced Nursing trains specialists on the basis of special professional and complete secondary education.
The Institute of Advanced Training supports advancement of professional skills and medical staff retraining.
More than 800 staff members including 149 Doctors of Medical Sciences, 91 professors, and 525 PhD in Medical Sciences are involved in teaching and scientific work at 78 departments of the University.
The educational activity of Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko is conducted in conformity with the main educational programs developed by the school on the basis of the state educational standards for higher professional education and secondary professional education with due regard to suggested programs of the courses approved by the corresponding educational and methodological associations.
The University has adopted the semester system.
The undergraduate training consists of two stages:
- Pre-clinical (1-2 years);
Hospital clerkships are done along with the study of clinical disciplines starting from the 2nd year of study;
- clinical (3-6 years).
Facilities of the University
The facilities of the University serve to meet medical and pharmaceutical education needs. The main buildings and facilities are the following:
- 5 training buildings
- Dental Clinic
- Children’s Clinical Hospital
- 29 clinical sites
- 5 hostels
- Well-equipped laboratory complexes
- Computer classes with the Internet access
- Central Research Laboratory
- 6 Research Institutes
- Library with a stock of 700 000 items of academic and scientific literature
- The public catering system includes a canteen with a 120-seat dining-room; there are also snack-bars for students in all the hostels and University. Besides, senior students while undergoing training at the clinical sites of the university have an opportunity to use the canteens of the healthcare facilities.
- Medical care organization. During the whole period of study, undergraduate and postgraduate students are supervised by the medical staff of the Municipal Healthcare Facility «City Outpatient Clinic #15 (Student Clinic)» for the city of Voronezh. The affiliated health center of the Clinic located in the immediate proximity to Hostel #3 serves for the convenience of students.
- The sport facilities include a sports and fitness complex with a total area of 2838.2 m² (indoor center) equipped with a swimming-pool, gymnastic area, juice bar, and a screening assay room.
A great variety of teaching forms and methods are used. They are:
- Traditional forms of teaching: lectures, seminars, practical classes and hospital clerkships.
- Modern teaching methods and techniques: computer and Internet classes, problem-based teaching, video-based classes, education software.
- Elective courses.
- Self-tuition is encouraged.
Attending classes and clerkships is mandatory for all students.
Clinical skills are developed during the placements at the clinical sites of the affiliated hospitals. Starting from the 2nd year of study, ward-based teaching is supported with the emphasis on patient-doctor relations. The clerkships are supervised by highly qualified and experienced physicians.
Both theoretical knowledge and clinical skills evaluation techniques include:
- Pass/fail grading tests
- Discussion groups.
Final certification is done through the state final examinations, which give an assessment of theoretical knowledge and clinical skills.
The extracurricular activities of students are arranged by public organizations and focused on creation of comfortable conditions for their leisure, self-organization, and self-realization. The Center for Student Cultural Initiatives, the Student Sports Club, the Student Scientific Society, Hostel Students’ Councils, students’ teams, voluntary youth groups are designed to meet the challenges.